mercredi 8 août 2012

day #2

Well, there are 4 or 5 haphazard shots tonight, after 2h30, with actual people in them. They will tell of panic, and avoiding.
More meetings, one lesson in chess, and absolutely no way imagined to introduce photography. One tentative email contact project. Lots of anxiety also, made me quite sick and miserably restless ahead, despite yesterday's feeling of success.
Comical. But I'll stick with it.

Stories people are starting to tell, flashes, opinions, about other people in the scene. The chess table at the other corner of the square, gambling, you don't want to... This guy, he's a con artist / Man, don't say that.
John, Tony, talking about St Lucia, talking some "broken French" John calls it, rather than creole. Go & Ti, hurricane, gason, sékésafé? (from what I can pick up).
Tony comes up close (he got me into the sphere yesterday, had called out to me on a couple of occasions earlier, "lovely lady", that kind of thing), he's very tall, and gangly and embracey. "My girlfriend", wide smile, I have difficulty understanding his sentences, banter only for the moment. I think I would like to ask him for help with the photography.
John teaches me for one round of game. Well. He has a soft manner, tells me of St Lucia, the 4 Windward islands (St Lucia, St Vincent, Grenada, Dominica) , "near Martinique".

A second talk with D., I show him the Baron Samedi, and the Atis artwork online. He shows me more photos of this wood pieces, talks of his book project, for children possibly. Positions himself as the guide, the encourager: ideas about getting about finding a studio for myself in Paris. Mentoring.
He also makes installations, with collage, and words (print). Among the many pictures collected on his phone (there's a whole studio there, a whole body of work and workshop of projects), a series comes out of pictures of him with various young white women, taken at the park corner : interesting to have an (which doesn't mean the only valence of) image of my place here.

I say goodnight to the straggly group as I leave, I get a (not unfriendly) growl and some wishes.

Ask for help